H/8 (5.0 mm) crochet hook, yarn needle, scissors, button
Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn
Fits MOST standard 10-11 oz coffee mugs.
Bottom diameter = 3.25 in/8 cm.
Height = 3.5 in/9 cm.
BL – back loop, CH – chain, DC – double crochet, MC/CA - main color/color A, SC – single crochet, SL ST – slip stitch, ST – stitch
- Gauge is not listed. Make sure your circle measures 3.25 inches after Round 3, and the height of the cozy fits your mug.
- The CH-1 or CH-2 at the beginning of each round does NOT count as a stitch. Join to top of 1st ST made.
- This cozy works best on mugs that have handles centered on the side of the mug.
- Please do NOT put cozy into microwave. Acrylic/synthetic yarns and/or buttons may melt or warp.
With MC, start with magic ring.
Round 1: CH 2, 12 DC in loop, join. [12 DC]
Round 2: CH 2, 2 DC in each DC around, join. [24 DC]
Round 3: CH 2, (1 DC in next, 2 DC in next) around, join. [36 DC]
*Circle should be same size as bottom of mug. Approx. 3.25 in/8 cm.
You will now begin working in rows.
Row 4: CH 1, (SC in BL of next ST, DC in BL of next) around to last 2 STS. Leave last 2 STS unworked, CH 1, turn. [34 STS]
Row 5: (SC in next ST, DC in next ST) across, CH 1, turn. [34 STS]
Rows 6–13: Repeat Row 5.
*Cozy should now measure approx. 3.5 in/9 cm tall.
Change to CA.
Round 14 (trim): SC in next 33 STS, work 3 SC in corner ST, and SC evenly around handle hole (one SC per row down the right side, in the BL of the 2 unworked STS from Round 4, and up the left side), CH 13 (button loop made), and join with a SL ST into 1st SC. Fasten off and weave in all ends.
Sew button to opposite corner from the button loop. Set mug inside cozy and fasten loop onto button over top of mug handle.
- Try solid, variegated or self-striping yarns.
- To make a larger cozy, make sure Round 3 is the same size as the bottom of the mug and repeat Row 5 as needed.
- Add a crocheted flower, ribbon, patch, or other embellishment to your cozy to make it unique.
© 2011/2016 Danyel Pink aka Danyel Pink Designs. All Rights Reserved.
This design, the pattern, and the images are property of Danyel Pink Designs. The buyer may use this pattern for personal use and charity. Sales of the finished items are also permitted with credit given to Danyel Pink. No part of this document may be reproduced, altered, or distributed in any form, or by any means, without express written permission from Danyel Pink.