Yarn: Red Heart Anne Geddes Baby DK weight yarn (3.5 oz/340 yds): 1 skein each #100 Lily (A), #203 Daffodil (B), #623 Spearmint (C), #801 Bluebell (D), #591 Posy (E), and #591 Rosie (F)
*Any Weight 3 yarn will work well for this project.
Size: 26" x 30" (customizable)
Gauge: (1 Shell + 1 V-st) and 4 rows = 2" square (not critical)
Stitch Guide: ch - chain(s), dc - double crochet, sc - single crochet, sl st - slip stitch, st(s) - stitch(es)
Shell = (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in indicated stitch or space.
V-st = (dc, ch 2, dc) in indicated stitch or space.
- A ch-3 counts as a dc and a ch-1 space at the beginning of each row. On following rows, work sts into the ch-1 space, not the top of the turning ch.
- To customize afghan, work foundation ch in multiples of 10 + 4 and repeat Rows 3 and 4 for desired length.
- Create striping pattern shown as follows (in rows): 5 A, 2 B, 2 C, 5 A, 2 D, 2 E, 5 A, 2 F, 2 B, 5 A, 2 C, 2 D, 5 A, 2 E, 2 F, 5 A.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (3 skipped chs count as dc and ch-1 space), skip 4 chs, Shell in next ch, *skip 4 chs, V-st in next ch, skip 4 chs, Shell in next ch; repeat from * across to last 5 chs, skip 4 chs, (dc, ch 1, dc) in last ch, turn—10 Shells and 9 V-sts.
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc and ch-1 space), 3 dc in ch-1 space, V-st in Shell, *Shell in V-st, V-st in Shell; repeat from * across, (3 dc, ch 1, dc) in final ch-1 space, turn—9 Shells and 10 V-sts.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc in ch-1 space, Shell in V-st, *V-st in Shell, Shell in V-st; repeat from * across, (dc, ch 1, dc) in final ch-1 space, turn—10 Shells and 9 V-sts.
Row 4: Ch 3, 3 dc in ch-1 space, V-st in Shell, *Shell in V-st, V-st in Shell; repeat from * across, (3 dc, ch 1, dc) in final ch-1 space, turn—9 Shells and 10 V-sts.
Rows 5–50: Repeat Rows 3 and 4, following striping pattern in Notes.
Row 51: With A, *ch 4, sl st in next ch-2 space; repeat from * across, ch 4, sl st in final ch-1 space, turn—20 ch-4 spaces.
Do not fasten off. Continue to Trim.
Round 1: Ch 1 (not a st), *5 sc in each ch-4 space across, ch 2 (corner made), rotate to work along side, 2 sc in each row end along side (count your sts), ch 2 (corner made)**, rotate to work along starting ch; repeat from * around, ending with ** assuring same number of sts are worked along both long sides, sl st to 1st sc to join, do not turn. Fasten off A.
Round 2: With B, join with sc in any corner, ch 2, sc in same corner, BL sc in each sc around, working (sc, ch 2, sc) in each corner, sl st to 1st sc of round to join, do not turn. Fasten off B.
Rounds 3–6: Repeat Round 2 using C, D, E, and F consecutively.
Finishing: Fasten off and weave in all ends. Block lightly if desired.
- Any DK/baby weight yarn will work well for this project.
- Use Worsted weight yarn and an I/9 (5.5mm) hook for a slightly larger/thicker blanket, too.
- Use up your scraps to make the stripes.
- Try variegated yarn for the striped sections.
- Try different afghan borders to make yours extra unique!
☞ © 2016/2019 Danyel Pink. You may sell what you make, but please credit Danyel Pink Designs for the pattern. You may NOT resell the pattern, distribute it in any form, post it elsewhere online, or alter it to claim it as your own. Please provide a link back to my blog instead. Contact me with any questions or for pattern support.