Materials: F/5 (3.75mm) crochet hook, yarn needle, scissors
Yarn: 2 colors of fingering weight yarn, approximately 10 yds each. Sample shown using Knit Picks Stroll Glimmer in Peacock (A) and Chrome (B).
Sizes: Fits standard Elf on the Shelf dolls
Gauge: 6 HDC and 4 Rows = 1”
Stitch Guide: BL - back loop, CH - chain , HDC - half double crochet , SC - single crochet, SL ST - slip stitch, ST(S) - stitch(es)
- Count your STS as you go along to make sure you do the HDC and SC stitches in the correct places.
- Pattern indicates to work 2-3 SC for the spirals. If you can’t get good spirals with 2 SC in each CH, work 3 instead.
- Don’t fasten off at each color change. Carry the yarn along loosely.
With A, ch 12, turn.
Row 1: HDC in 2nd CH from hook and in each ST across, ch 8, turn — 11 HDC and 8 CH.
Row 2: Work 2-3 SC in 2nd CH from hook and in next 6 CH (spiral made), HDC in BL of each HDC across, Change Color, CH 1, turn — 11 HDC and SC spiral.
Row 3: HDC in BL of each HDC across, CH 8, turn — 11 HDC and 8 CH.
Row 4: Work 2-3 SC in 2nd CH from hook and in next 6 CH (spiral made), HDC in BL of each HDC across, Change Color, CH 1, turn — 11 HDC and SC spiral.
Repeat Rows 3 and 4 until 16 Rows (8 stripes) have been completed, CH 1, turn.
Join end-to-end, SL ST down entire length of hat through both layers, fasten off leaving a 9” tail. Turn hat right-side-out.
Using tail & yarn needle, weave in and out of the topmost HDC stitches evenly around the top of the hat, then cinch the hat closed so that the spirals form a “bouquet”. Fasten off long tail. SC evenly around edge of cuff to hide color changes.
Weave in all ends. Fold up cuff & Enjoy!
- Work the entire hat in a solid, variegated, or self-striping yarn.
- Work every 2 rows using a different color. Use up your scraps!
Want this hat in YOUR size? Check out the Delaney Hat HERE!