This excellent chinstrap hat is intended as a newborn photography prop, and the pattern only comes with newborn instructions.
Materials: K (6.5 mm) crochet hook, yarn needle, scissors, ¾” button
Yarn: Approximately 100 yards of bulky/handspun yarn (Handspun yarns vary; choose one that is 5-6 WPI or 2-3 sts per inch.)
Size: Newborn only
Gauge: 6 DC and 3.5 rows = 2”
Difficulty: Very Easy
Stitch Guide: CH - chain, DC - double crochet, HDC - half double crochet, SC - single crochet, SL ST - slip stitch, ST(S) - stitch(es)
- The CH-1 or CH-2 at the beginning of each round does NOT count as a stitch. Join the last stitch to the top of the first stitch.
- I recommend using a textured, thick/thin, or fuzzy yarn to hide the seam of the hat.
Start with Magic Ring.
Round 1: CH 2, 9 DC in ring, join to top of 1st DC. [9 DC]
Round 2: CH 2, 2 DC in each ST around, join. [18 DC]
Round 3: CH 2, (1 DC in next ST, 2 DC in next ST) around, join. [27 DC]
Round 4: CH 2, (1 DC in next 2 STS, 2 DC in next ST) around, join. [36 DC]
Rounds 5–7: CH 2, 1 DC in each ST around, join. [36 DC]
Round 8: CH 2, 1 HDC in each DC around, join. [36 HDC]
Round 9: CH 1, SC in each HDC around, join, DO NOT fasten off. [36 SC]
CH 18 loosely, HDC in 2nd CH from hook, SC in remaining 16 CHs, SL ST into 1st ST from Round 9.
Fasten off & weave in ends.
Sew button to the end of the right side of the strap.
Fasten button in between stitches of Round 8 from inside of the hat.
Hat can be worn with the button on left or right.
- Yarns that work well: Joann Sensations Angel Hair, Loops & Threads Charisma, Lion Brand Tweed Stripes
- Add bear ears or a pom pom to the top of the hat.
- Leave off the chinstrap for a perfect newborn beanie.