I hope you enjoy this EASY and FREE crochet pattern! :)
Materials: I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook, yarn needle, scissors
Yarn: 2 colors of Worsted Weight Yarn, approximately 75-100 yards each
Sizes: 0-3 Months (14-15”), 3-6 Months (15-17”), 6-12 Months (17-19”), Toddler (18-20”), Child (19-21”), Adult (21-23”)
Gauge: 7 HDC and 4 Rows = 2”
Stitch Guide: BL - back loop, CH - chain, HDC - half double crochet, SC - single crochet, SL ST - slip stitch, ST(S) - stitch(es)
- Pattern is written for 0-3 months with 3-6 months, 6-12 months, toddler, child and adult sizes in parentheses.
- Count your STS as you go along to make sure you do the HDC and SC in the correct places.
- Don’t fasten off at each color change. Carry the yarn along loosely.
CH 25 (27, 29, 31, 33, 37), turn.
Row 1: HDC in 2nd CH from hook and in each ST across, CH 15, turn. [24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 36) HDC + 15 CH]
Row 2: Work 2-3 SC in 2nd CH from hook and in next 13 CH (spiral made). Change Color, HDC in BL of each HDC across, CH 1, turn. [24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 36) HDC + spiral]
Row 3: HDC in BL of each HDC across, CH 15, turn. [24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 36) HDC + 15 CH]
Row 4: Work 2-3 SC in 2nd CH from hook and in next 13 CH (spiral made). Change Color, HDC in BL of each HDC across, CH 1, turn. [24 (26, 28, 30, 32, 36) HDC + spiral]
Repeat Rows 3 and 4 until 24 (26, 30, 32, 36, 40) rows have been completed, CH 1, turn.
Joining end-to-end, SL ST down entire length of hat through both layers, fasten off leaving a 12” tail. Turn hat right-side-out.
Using tail & yarn needle, weave in and out of the topmost HDC stitches evenly around the top of the hat, then cinch the hat closed so that the spirals form a “bouquet”. Fasten off the long tail. SC evenly around edge of cuff if desired. Weave in all ends. Fold up cuff & Enjoy!
- For wider stripes, change colors every 4 rows instead of 2.
- Work the entire hat in a solid, variegated, or self-striping yarn.
- Work every 2 rows using a different color. Use up your scraps!
☞ © 2009/2013 Danyel Pink. You may sell what you make, but please credit Danyel Pink Designs for the pattern. You may NOT resell the pattern, distribute it in any form, post it elsewhere online, or alter it to claim it as your own. Please provide a link back to my blog instead. Contact me with any questions or for pattern support.